Saturday, August 24, 2013

Tom Ford Orchid Haze Eye Color Quad for Fall 2013

I showed you a quick photo of Tom Ford's new Eye Color Quad, Orchid Haze (#13, $78), a few days ago. Now I have swatches. I did not want to put up bad swatch photos earlier, so I waited until today, a beautiful day with gleaming, brilliant sunshine.

This is a new quad. There are two Asia exclusives that have been introduced with the fall collection: Lavender Lust and Seductive Rose. Dustin Lujan at the John Barrett Salon selected the best of the three for me. I trust him completely. I bought Orchid Haze without seeing a photo.

Like Tom Ford's other quads, the eye shadows in this beauty offer top-notch quality. The powders feel like cream as I run my applicators over them. There is no fallout on my face, and the colors color-true all day. That said, I will rave over the shades in this quad. I was afraid it might be too lavendar-licious for me - way too purple - based on the name. It's not, in fact I got two beloved taupe-toned shades with it.

I swatched in clockwise order, starting with the beautiful, shimmering peach-taupe blend in the upper-left corner of the quad at the top of my arm.  Is that color gorgeous or am I delusional? I nearly jumped for joy when I applied it. In the same color family, but darker, the complex taupe-peach-chestnut hybrid shade is equally gorgeous. After I swatched these two colors, I declared the quad entirely worth the $78. I'll be wearing these shade to work.

The third shade (lower-right corner in the quad) is a liner shade for me. The eggplant color looks good with the other shades when used as a liner nestled into my lash line. I cannot wear this color when applied sheerly and used as a contour shade. It makes me look like I have a wicked hangover or fatal disease. Those of you who can wear eggplant shades will love its vibrancy.

The only shade that merits the use of the term "orchid" is shown at the bottom of my arm. It's a lovely blend of heathered lavender, pink, and taupe. I can wear it - yea! It does not look ghastly pink on my eyelids. It's beautiful when used as a base "hazy" shade with the "brown" shade in the quad. I won't limit its use with other shades in the quad. It is everyday useful.

I expect, but have not verified, that this quad is a "permanent" addition to Tom Ford's stable of quads - as permanent as anything can be in makeup. I'll let you know if I guessed incorrectly. It is scheduled to be available at all Tom Ford Counters in September. If you want one now, give Dustin a call at (212) 872-2714.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why oh why can't we still get the full line in Canada??? This is gorge!!!

Thanks for sharing the swatches,
Hanna

Jules said...

Wow! That looks absolutely stunning--I was thinking about getting In the Pink, but now I think it will have to be Orchid Haze (or, maybe both....)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Hanna!

Call Dustin and see if they will ship to Canada. Tell him I sent you.

Charlestongirl said...

Jules, in my humble opinion, this is better than In the Pink.

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

I think Tom Ford Orchid Haze is simply STUNNING! (And deserving of all caps)! All the peachy/pinky naunces mixed in with taupe and eggplant are so special.

Also --- I definitely agree that Orchid Haze trumps Tom Ford's trio offerings!

Unknown said...

For some reason, seeing these swatches I think of a Chanel palette that I have and cannot recall the name at this time. These are the shades I seem to purchase often! Yes, it is a nice palette...but still like the Wild Horses Palette by Chantecaille!
Have a great weekend!

Sujaan said...

Beautiful! Out of my price range but if I won the lotto I would definitely purchase.

Sara said...

These are gorgeous and I can't wait to own this palette! I am so disappointed they are not available online yet- how much does Dustin charge for shipping? I will pay ridiculous amounts of money for makeup but can't bring myself to pay for shipping!

Evelyn said...

hehehhee "have a wicked hangover or fatal disease" oh how that cracked me up! Really true, I've tried some colors that make me look like I've been punched in the eye. These colors are so beautiful! I should just go visit Dustin but I'm afraid of how many things I may actually pick up. So many pretty things coming out, we'll see what I actually buy.

Virginie said...

Hi Charleston Girl, quick question: Is it true they will discontinue Burnished Amber??? Thanks!

Liza said...

How does it compare to the Wild Horses palette by Chantecaille? Both seem gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginie,

I don't know, but can ask and let you now here.

Charlestongirl said...

Sara, I don't know because I paid for expedited shipping. That charge was very reasonable. Give him a call.

Bellyhead said...

How lovely! I held off purchasing it, but will eventually need to purchase it. Those are simply beautiful shades and the quality was superb! I'm happy to see your perfect photos that really showcase this beauty.

Virginie said...

Yes, please.

AmandaRae said...

I was speaking with my Tom Ford girl the other day while placing my order. She said all three of the new quads will be permanent. They are discontinuing two in the permanent line, although I forgot to ask which two.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I love this! But I can't justify the $$ right now. I would though...(this is where I start singing,"If I had a million dollars...")

Amanda said...

Hi CG, do you think any of the colours from your recent Tom Ford acquisitions (I'm soo jealous! :o))compare to Bobbi Brown's Twilight palette?

LilyBiscuit said...

Really beautiful! I may have to get this one.

Melanie said...

I think that this has pushed me over the edge: I *need* a Tom Ford quad -- stat!

Hanna, if you can wait, Holt's on Bloor is supposed to have TF Beauty as of October 1st. If you are not in the GTA, their shipping via courier is very reasonable (I usually get my things two days later).

Elena said...

the pigmentation looks incredible! and the packaging is absolutely amazing!
at first, I thought this wouldn't be a really great product but I was really wrong!
too bad you can't find Tom Ford here...

Gauri said...

Wow..this quad seems like a good deal..I like it when something so expensive works so well.

Clarisse said...

HI Charlestongirl!
What a stunning quad,I love the creamy-powdery effect and the colors are all so gorgeous: Chanel never succeeds in giving such effect, TF is definitely ahead! :-)

makeup magpie said...

Great swatches! This palette is lovely - and these are the kinds of colors I wear most often. I tested it in the store today and was impressed! A must-have for me :)