Saturday, December 8, 2012

Le Métier de Beauté Bauhaus Kaleidoscope Eye Kit for Holiday 2012 - Swatched and Applied

Le Métier de Beauté's limited-edition Bauhaus Kaleidoscope Eye Kit for Holiday 2012 arrived - and is it extraordinary! I had the privilege of its first application by Erin Lockhard. She layered all the shades, and I was stunned by how beautifully they blended.

I have to write this feature very quickly because I have a friend coming by to go to lunch in just a few minutes. I will probably come back and embellish the post a bit later. In the meantime, let me give you my first impression: the synergy of these shades will surprise  and delight you. The top two, brown and silver don't seem like natural partners, do they? You must see them blended to believe.

I took my swatch photos in full, afternoon sun (hence the shadows). I swatched the shades heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator in the same order on my arm that they are presented in the Kaleidoscope.

The shimmering copper brown is simply gorgeous. It the first shade Erin applied sheerly to my lid, and we marveled at how good it looked. It's a perfect shade for swipe-and-go. Then she layered the silver shade over it, and it suddenly had pizazz.

I had my doubts about the burgundy shade. On the lid, though, near the lashes and blended with the other shades, it became much more brown and much less red. The midnight grey is elegant. With just a smidge of blue - to remind you of a starry night - it's exquisite.

I must tell you more about my makeup application. Erin applied individual lashes to enhance my own, and everywhere I've gone since I left her hands, I've received compliments - all from makeup artists. She is a master at applying individual lashes to glam your look in no time. No wonder celebrities love her.

Our photo shows the best store lighting we could find before I left. Shadows galore, but I wanted to give you a look at Erin's handiwork. She's a pro's pro!

Living proof? I ambled around Neiman Marcus before I went over to Saks to pick up Chanel's spring collection. I couldn't believe the compliments. It has been years - I'm sure, years - since makeup artists I don't know stopped me as I walked by and commented on my eyes. First, all my friends at Neiman Marcus were awestruck by Erin's work. then, I was cruising around Saks with Loyd, who had already said he wanted eyelash lessons from Erin, when the Laura Metier artist said as we walked by, "Your eyes are stunning." I turned around, and he was talking to me. Wow! Later at lunch, my friend noticed. It was a head-turning day. All thanks to Erin Lockard. Shadows by Le Métier de Beauté

The new Kaleidoscope Lip Kit named for Dr. Tina West will arrive this week. If you want to reserved one, make sure to call Michael Reinhardt at (202) 966-9700, extension 2258 or 2236. I believe the new palette, which he designed, will be exclusive to his store.

Update 12/10: The shade names in this Kaleidoscope, top to bottom, are:
  • Axiom, a bronzed umber,
  • Graphic, silver liquid metal,
  • Crucible, rich pomegranate,
  • Genre, deep gun-metal grey.   
Photo at top courtesy of Le Métier de Beauté; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

32 comments:

Nemo said...

Tell us about your lunch.

morelikespace said...

The pigmentation on these looks unbelievable!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Gorgeous (both you and the palette!). I think the burgundy can work as long as you use a nice strong eyeliner in espresso or black so that the color isn't right next to the eye.

Charlestongirl said...

Kate, they are nicely pigmented, but superbly sheer if you want to wear them that way. Perfect!

Charlestongirl said...

You are spot-on MamaVal.

Melanie said...

Lovely! Looks wonderful on you! Please tell us more about Chanel spring!

Jo said...

You are adorable CG! Kudo on all the compliments. THis lovely eye kit arrived at my local NM on Friday and I couldn't make it downtown this weekend so it is being shipped to me. I hope to receive it Monday or Tuesday. Now, please say more about the new lip kaledioscope. This is the first I've heard of it. Did I miss something?

Anonymous said...

Is the 4th Tier dark blue gray the same as the 4th Tier dark blue gray of Dustin's Antiquité Poupée from Holiday 2011?

Biz Morris Haselwandter said...

Beautiful! It is always helpful to see your swatches, if maybe hard on my wallet.

Estelle said...

Ooooo it looks spectacular! Any chance of swatches of it layered in the LMdB "Couche de couleurs" method?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful swatches, I think I'm now $95 poorer. I think this will look nice on colored eyes. The colors are not your standard combination, very unique.

Lori said...

Wow! You look amazing!

If Erin shows up in my neck of the woods I'll be there!

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl, burgundy and gold is such cool combination! I like to pair browns with silvers or greys--- I think it makes for a beautiful and complex look!

Beauty and the Scientist said...

I love these swatches, so gorgeous :)

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl! I'm glad you had such a delightful experience yesterday with the radiant Erin (she looks gorgeous and I believe you when you say she is a good person, she looks it!) You needed such a treat to change your mind after your worries about Charlie! I'm very happy for you and this new Kaleidoscope looks fantastic:-)

Eileen said...

You look gorgeous Charlestongirl! And what a delightful diversion--a day of beauty with the charming Erin. As always, she did a beautiful job, but then she had a beautiful model on which to work :-)

Bauhaus is such an interesting collection of colors. And, see? There's no need to fear burgundy when being applied by an artist like Erin. It's one of my favorite eye shadow colors.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melanie,

I was blown away to find out at NM Mazza that Saks Chevy Chase had received Spring Part 1. I thought they had been telling me that Saks had cruise, but when I got there, it wasn't cruise. Now I learn that cruise will be at Saks.com only. I'm not sure what to believe.

Anyhow, it's a full collection. I bought many pieces and will be featuring them this week.

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, Michael Reinhardt designed it and named it after a well-known dermatologist. It will be released this week. Call Michael to reserve one - or get his official description.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

Nope.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Biz,

I really like this one. Unique!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Estelle,

Sure, if the sun every comes out again. It's raining again!

Charlestongirl said...

They are, Anon, I think you will find many uses for this one.

Charlestongirl said...

Definitely go see her, Lori. She is so good - and a total sweetie.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dovey,

Burgundy and gold can be gorgeous - on some skin types. On me it's rather awful. However, Erin made it work. She didn't use much of the burgundy either.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi BATS (did you know that's the acronym for your name? :))

Going to order one?

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Clarisse,

It certainly was a 180 from a day of worry to a day of fun.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I guess I'll just have to bring Erin east when I need to use that color. :)

You SoCal gals are so lucky to have her most of the time.

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo,

It was just OK. Newly discovered Italian place. Part of it was good, part very mediocre. Probably not going into my restaurant rotation.

EllenB said...

The swatches are beautiful..oh how I want this! By the time I finish saving my pennies for this one, it will be gone. But I have many goodies in my arsenal so I won't be too unhappy if I can't get this. You look beautiful CG, and I am glad that you got so many compliments. Nothing feels better than a good compliment; even just one can make your day!

Swathi Narumanchi said...

That palette looks gorgeous as do you CG !

Charlestongirl said...

Ellen,

Actually, Mazza has already sold out of their allotment. If you decide you want it, try another NM - or Bergdorfs.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Swathi!