Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tarte Call of the Wild Amazonian Clay Eyeshadow Palette

I nearly had a meltdown when this gorgeous Tarte Call of the Wild Amazonian Clay Eyeshadow Palette ($36) appeared at my door. A good friend had recently gone to work with Tarte Cosmetics, and she sent it to me. I opened it eagerly - I'm a sucker for cat prints - and I gasped. The colors in this palette are gorgeous. Plus, I'm a Tarte addict (yes, I took advantage of their Labor Day sale).

On the prowl for a palette that's excitingly-on-trend to spice up your shadow wardrobe? Turn up the "meow factor" with Tarte's Call of the Wild Amazonian Clay Eight-Shadow Collector's Palette - a fearless and sophisticated eye shadow palette featuring nature's most perfect ingredient: Amazonian clay. This purr-fectly portable palette, inspired by the wild side of the Amazon rain forest, is emblazoned with a bold spotted animal print and gold etched black patent leather.

Show your fashion-forward spots this fall while keeping things neutral with what's inside: eight full-sized Amazonian clay eye shadows in brand new neutral shades that include Meow, Jungle, Call, Wild, Instinct, Lynx, Primal, and Roar. Each Amazonian clay eye shadow delivers the perfect amount of creamy matte perfection or subtle shimmer, while Amazonian clay works to nourish the eyelids, reduce surface oil, and improve overall texture for easy application and better, longer, truer wear. Everything you need to create a complete eye look that can range from sleek and mild to sexy/wild is inside, including a large mirror for a flawless application on the go. "Go wild but still look beautifully, natural with Tarte."

I was struck by the perfect selection of colors - neutrals with a dash of grey and blue. How good does it get?  My photos were taken in full sun. For my first photo, I swatched the palette top to bottom left on the left-most column, then the oblong flesh tone followed by white in the top center.

Look at this gorgeous selection of neutrals! There's a plastic insert that identifies the names of each color. Somehow, I managed to misplace it (don't ask - it was that kind of weekend). I think the gorgeous, shimmering champagne beige at the top of my arm is Meow. Fitting for a cat lover!  The brown under it is a perfect complement to the other neutrals. The next shade down is the oblong flesh shade that runs across both "levels" of colors (top and bottom). It's a peachy nude that is a perfect base shade. The white is a great highlighting shade, and it blends nicely with the other shades if you want to customize your color.

Picking up at the bottom of the palette below the white shade in the photo below, there's a shimmering mauve brown, which looks great on me without bringing out the red in my eyes. The next shade, the second oblong, is a perfect base for the mauve brown. The fit each other to a "T."

The grey shades provide a striking alternative to the browns. The medium grey works beautifully with the blue grey (more charcoal on my skin than blue).It's a beautiful liner with all the shades, bringing out the blue in my eyes.

I've written many times about Tarte and their ethics. Tarte knows there is nothing beautiful about cruelty to animals, which is why all materials are faux; meaning they're 100% cruelty-free, promoting welfare to animals everywhere. I totally support their wonderful stance and love them for it.

In addition to ensuring the animals are safe, they also work hard to create cosmetics that are safe for us. Tarte's skinvigorating benefits in this palette offer:
  • Amazonian clay: Nature's most perfect ingredient providing total skin balance;
  • Vitamin E: A natural preservative that also acts as an anti-inflammatory emollient and protects against free radical damage; and
  • Mineral pigments: Colors and dyes derived from natural minerals known to soothe and soften the skin.
I know that many of your are Tarte addicts too. You won't find this one at Sephora. The Call of the Wild Amazonian Clay Eyeshadow Palette is an Ulta exclusive. Currently, Ulta is offering a gift with purchase, so it's a great time to go wild and check out this palette. I think it's a bargain!

Photo at top courtesy of Ulta; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Suselew said...

I passed on this one as I thought three of the colors were simply too similar. Also, how can you have a jungle palette without green? Blue in a jungle palette seemed odd to me. I would have expected a gold as well. It didn't seem a good collection for hazel eyes.

EllenB said...

I am going to go broke just by reading your blog! I really want the Maybelline Define-a-Lash that you reviewed, now I want this Tarte palette. Plus, that was a great review that you did on the new Armani foundation and I cannot pass on that either! Sounds like I'm going to be spending about $100 real soon.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ellen,

The good news is that the Maybelline mascara is a bargain, and so is the Tarte palette. The Armani foundation isn't all that bad either. :)

Nemo said...

After awhile, don't all these makeup colors--shadows, blushes and lip colors--start looking alike?

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Oh, I am CRAZED over leopard. Leopard shoes, leopard tote from J Crew, leopard scarf, and leopard blouse (J Crew, too)...but, of course, NEVER all at once. But who would ever know that I was wearing eyeshadow from a leopard case? Just ME!! Gotta have this one! <3

Nonnanina3 said...

You are a temptress my dear. Maybeline/Armani/Tarte. How on earth are we to afford all of these absolutely necessary supplies?

Charlestongirl said...

Not to me, Nemo. Sounds like you've got makeup fatigue.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mamaval!

I'm a leopard fan too, as long as it's a print. I abhor killing animals for their fur. This is the right way to celebrate them. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Look at it this way, Nonnanina3...I showed you some very affordable makeup in the last few days. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Most of it is, Suselaw. I see your point about the greys. You should try it in person.

lovethescents said...

Tarte is an excellent range. As you've explained, it's good for the skin and the quality is nice and competes well with the heavy hitters :-)

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Totally agreed on "Fur belongs on animals." It is so barbaric to wear it!