Saturday, April 30, 2011

Weekend Roundup - April 30

The royal wedding of Diana's son William to Catherine Middleton offered excitement and glamour yesterday to a world that needed a dose of both. I watched as long as I could in the early morning hours before I felt compelled to leave for work. Then, in the evening, I saw on the news what I had missed in the evening. It was majestic, flawless, and thrilling on so many levels. Wow! Does anyone know how to do pageantry better than the Brits?

Kate's dress, designed by Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen, was a brilliant choice. With a nod to Princess Grace, it was elegant - fit for a princess. Almost the first thing I noticed about her look was her gorgeous pair of diamond earrings, a gift from her parents. Her makeup? I've read that she did it! I've heard critics. Phooey! She delftly combined an understated glossy lip with a smoky eye. The only "critical" comment I can make is that with her hair pulled back, she looked tired (incredibly poised, but worn out - understandable). I don't know if more concealer could have hidden the slight circles without looking gobbed under her eyes to the most important person in her life.

Let's turn to our own, closer-to-home, world of beauty. This week, our team of beauty and fashion bloggers shared great suggestions for looking and feeling beautiful and special - even without a fairy tale wedding.

The Beauty Look Book showed us the hot tropics trend of bright nails for summer with Electric Tropics Catwalk Nail Duos in Aloha by Dior.

Everyone needs a perfect bronzer for summer. Café Makeup shared her latest Chanel purchases with the gorgeous bronzer, Soleil Tan de Chanel in Bronze Rosé.

Full brows are youthful, and Fab over Forty showed us how to make the brow a perfect shape by using the proper tools.

The new Dior Addict Lipstick is all the rage. The Non-Blonde gave us her thoughts on the formula and shade of #626, Androgyne.

Exfoliating is an important step in your skin-care regimen. Gouldylox Reviews showed us Jan Marini Instant Refining Exfoliator and is giving one away.

Another giveaway: Looking to lighten and brighten your skin? Diva Debbi showed us Youth Corridor's Skin Brightener. Go enter!

Daly Beauty showed us how to make a classic, simple updo hair style with the new Goody Simple Styles Bun Spiral - perfect for summer or anytime.

Product Girl interviewed Nonie Creme, Founding Creative Director of Butter London nail polishes. See what Creme keeps in her makeup bag.

Florals are so fresh. BeautyXposé shared with us some great floral accessories that are all under $20.

Guerlain's Terra Inca Collection has us clamoring for summer. Here at Best Things in Beauty, I focused on the Ombré Fusion Creme Eyeshadow from the collection. I also featured the bronzer and lip gloss. Scroll through and have a look-see.

How will you spend your weekend? Will you be catching up on any royal wedding news you missed? Shopping, perchance?

Photo courtesy of ABC

5 comments:

Joey said...

I love wedding dresses with sleeves/boleros/jackets! Kate looked stunning and she did a great job with her makeup =)

lovethescents said...

It was a real fairytale event. I cried, and laughed and loved every minute! I didn't realize Kate did her own makeup. She did a beautiful job only I did notice the bags under eyes...they didn't distract too much, though :-)

By the way, apparently her fragrance was White Gardenia Petals by Illuminum, according to Bonkers About Perfume (http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/)....just thought you'd be interested :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joey!

I agree! Ditto entirely.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Lovethescents!

I am going to check that out today. Sounds like a lovely selection.

I'll admit, I had a tear in my eye when I saw Wills walk down the aisle and shyly look up the way his mother did. Diana lives on!

The dark circles had to be due to stress and overload. Can you only imagine? I heard on the TV that her father took her hand the way he did (at the alter) primarily because her hands were shaking. That unparalleled poise was somewhat staged, which means she is the perfect woman to be a royal symbol for a nation. Poised, but hiding her anxiety to the world, and doing it seamlessly. Diana raised her son right - he selected a real princess, inside and out. I'm extremely happy for them.

Kate said...

Hi Charlestongirl!

I have watched the wedding footage several times and I just can't get over how beautiful Kate looked. I LOVE that she did her own makeup, but a little disappointed only because if she had had a makeup artist do her makeup, maybe we could have gotten a look/product breakdown! I am dying to know what products she used!

I also went out and bought Dior Aurora based on all the reviews I have been reading, including yours, so I can't wait to try it.

And, I totally agree with you and Joey! I love sleeves. I got married about 6 months ago, and now I am silently cursing because I am sure a plethora of sleeved wedding dresses will now emerge and they were nowhere to be found when I walked down the aisle! The gown was perfect. Everything was perfect.

Thanks again for your blog....it is truly a joy to read!