Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New: Shiseido Oil-Free Powder Bronzer

I've been in a bronzer kind of mood. Maybe it's because summer will be upon us before we know it. Maybe it's because I am always impressed with the year-round contouring power of bronzers. They can make your cheekbones pop. Whatever the reason, I saw Shiseido's Oil-Free Bronzer ($35) at Sephora online and ordered it right away. I love everything Shiseido.

This pressed powder, oil-free bronzer creates a natural, radiant, sun-kissed look. Its formula ensures a perfectly even, natural, air-brushed finish. For those who find that oil in beauty creates a problem for their skin, this bronzer should be a delight.

It's available in three shades: Dawn Light, Desert Rose, and Dusk. All three looked gorgeous in the color swatches at Sephora, but I ordered Dawn Light. I know that the others - despite their beautiful tones - would probably be too dark for my fair skin. I still plan to play with them when I go to a department store that carries Shiseido.

This is a short feature because there's not much more to tell you than, "I love it." The compact comes with a brush (nice touch) that is separated from the bronzer by a plastic insert. The color works nicely for me. Even though I swatched it using a sponge-tipped applicator to get a saturated rendering of the shade, it looks pretty, natural, and sheer on my face when applied with a powder or blush brush. I haven't used the little brush that comes with it, but I could. It's nice.

Here's a swatch photo, purposely created with a dark, heavy application to the left of the swatch, fading to a lighter application at the right. My photo was taken outdoors in full sun, accounting for my shiny skin. This bronzer is not sparkly. I hope you can see that.

The soft, airy texture is perfect, and it applies and blends with ease for an air-brushed look. It's an excellent bronzer for anyone who wants a bronze tone that appears extremely natural. While I can only testify to Dawn Light, I know Shiseido so well now, I can predict that the darker shades are equally gorgeous.

When applied with a brush, it leaves a warm tone on my fair skin without making me look like a mud puddle. In fact, the bronzer, when applied with a blush brush is barely discernible as a bronzer, which is fine with me! I don't want people to look at me and think I am wearing a pretty bronzer. I want them to look at me and think I look good - healthy.

As always, I am delighted with my Shiseido purchase. You can find this lovely bronzer at Sephora, Macy's, and other Shiseido counters.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora

6 comments:

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!
I am not surprised at your satisfaction with this bronzer: Shiseido knows what suits and enhances pale skin like ours! I love it too when only I know I have used a bronzer and the result is just a healthy look...another must by them:-)

lovethescents said...

I adore Shiseido eyeshadows and lipsticks but have yet to try their bronzers. I've been playing with bronzers too lately, since I decided The Balm's Balmshell was too dark. I'm really loving my Korres bronzer. The Guerlain Blonde lacks that golden quality I'm after. I look forward to trying these!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Clarisse!

Yes, Shiseido really knows our skin! I've become quite the fan.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents,

I can't wear that bronzer either. I love Guerlain Blonde, and the new 00 is very nice too. There is also a very light, new golden-toned one from Guerlain. I chose the pink-toned one, which I don't think is particularly pink. :)

Donna said...

I hope my question doesnt offend, but in all your swatches it looks like your skin is really shimmery. Do you apply something before swatching to make the colors stand out more?

Charlestongirl said...

Good question, Donna. That's just sun glinting off my skin. I usually have a skin moisturizer on, but that's not shimmery.

As I mentioned in this feature, the bronzer is matte, but my skin around it shines. Sunlight is powerful when magnified!