Monday, December 21, 2009

Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder and Brush Set

I am very picky about face powders. They can't look powdery (witness Nicole Kidman's powder bourde). They can't sit on top of my foundation, making my skin look cakey or dry. They have to blend well and add value (of some sort), or why bother?

This year, I ordered Smashbox's HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder ($59) sight unseen. I read on Sephora that it is an anti-aging, face-perfecting powder, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm glad I did. This is one really nice powder!

Here's what Sephora and Smashbox have to say about it, with a few of my own comments thrown in.

HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder is the first anti-aging powder with the science of skin care built in. It's advanced formulation of pure gold, 48 minerals, 11 amino acids, and a powerful peptide deliver powerful anti-aging benefits, while the patented hydration system continuously revitalizes skin and provides a hydrated look that won't accentuate lines and wrinkles. Check!

The built-in shaver allows for the convenience of a pressed powder combined with the radiant finish of a loose one, and the super-sized brush deposits the perfect amount of powder every time. Check!

The powder is made for all skin types and is free of oil, talc, and parabens. A custom Travel Kabuki Brush comes with it for flawless application. Nice touch, but I used my own Armani brush.

Smashbox claims that clinical studies show that after 10 minutes there is a 33% decrease in the appearance of wrinkles around the eyes, and after six weeks of use, there is a 67% decrease in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles overall. I can't validate this finding. That's way too much to expect from powder, especially if you don't use it every day!

Otherwise, it does what it promises. I really like the way it looks and sets my makeup. It disappears into my skin, which is great. Nicole's makeup artist, take note! A powder that isn't powdery! It is hydrating, and it doesn't accentuate my "expression" lines.

I am also impressed with the delivery vehicle. You turn the container's shaver, and just the right amount is shaved off for your use. That leaves the majority of the product hygienically contained. A little goes a long way, so I could be using it for years!

It comes in four colors. I purchased Porcelain Ivory, which is recommended for fair complexions. It's also available in Light Beige for light complexions, Neutral Beige for medium complexions, and Dark Tan for dark complexions.

I purchased mine from Sephora. I know Nordstrom also carries it. Check it out the next time you browse the makeup aisles!

Photo courtesy of Sephora

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i have been reading a lot of positive reviews on HALO lately. I am the one who skips powder,even though my face is super oily during summer and still a bit shiny during winter. Even though I hardly have any wrinkles powders always managed to settle in a couple of small lines i do have and made them very visible. I am glad to hear this powder doesnt settle in your lines! I may re-think my no-powder rule once summer comes around :)

Charlestongirl said...

I think you could use this year-round, Anna - especially with oily skin.

Anonymous said...

I have oily skin, and I love HALO!

Mindy

adrian said...

sounds like a good product. This is new to me, so might check this out next time at the mall :) Good review

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Adrian. I hope you like it.