Monday, August 24, 2009

Top Mass-Market Beauty Brands

WWD published an interesting article on the top beauty brands purchased by affluent customers. In the mass-market category (meaning drugstores, grocery stores, etc.), the clear leader is Olay. Maybelline is #2 (I've bought my fair share of Maybelline mascara, so I sure know why it has a following). It's an informative article, which you can read here.

What's really interesting to me is that Unity Marketing, which conducted the survey, studied the buying patterns of consumers with household incomes of $250,000 or higher. It shows that consumers are looking for quality at a fair price and are realizing that there are some great values to be found at drugstores. I'll have to admit that I shunned drugstore skin care products until a few years ago. Now, I read ingredients to make my buying decisions, rather than being influenced by the store or packaging.

The list of prestige market brands is topped by Clinique, an Estee Lauder company. You can read that article here. That's no surprise to me, given the price to value ratio of Clinique's products.

WWD.com is required reading for anyone with more than a passing interest in beauty and fashion. You can subscribe and get access to all their content for $99/year. I highly recommend it.

Photo courtesy of WWD.

No comments: