Sunday, August 2, 2009

Estee Lauder's Private Collection Perfumes

Estee Lauder currently offers three Private Collection fragrances, with the first intro being the best.

This is my favorite - Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia - and the only one I like. In fact, I love this one. I get so many compliments when I wear it, and I love the combination of tuberose and gardenia, with additional notes of orange flower, jasmine, and white lily. The Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia ($325 for the real deal and $80-135 for the Eau de Parfum) was the first of the Private Collections launched (let's not count the original Estee Lauder Private Collection, which you can still find in the outlet stores). It was originally developed by Aerin Lauder for herself and her best friends. I believe, though, that the formula came from Estee's own archives.

Given my love for both of the white flowers in this heavenly fragrance, I was instantly smitten. I now carry the solid perfume around with me in my heavy purse and have the spray in my bedroom. I reserve the jar of body cream for times when I need a treat. This has been and continues to be a hit.

In my humble opinion, the other two Private Collection fragrances are misses. You have to like amber to find Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang enticing. I don't. So, this was easy to skip by. More disappointing, however, is the latest intro, Private Collection Jasmine White Moss. My heart skipped a little beat when I saw that the newest was jasmine-based and contained violet and orange flower. I normally swoon around jasmine and orange flowers. Unfortunately, my trial spray at Nordstrom left me cold (even one of my favorite beauty reps there didn't like it, and they are supposed to sell stuff). Wondering why, I soon learned that it contains patchouli, an ubiquitous fragrance that smells "1960's hippie culture," and bergamot, which I can't get my nose around. I can sniff out patchouli in anything, and I hate it. I'm disappointed that Aerin Lauder took an otherwise wonderful mix and threw in a banal, low-end stink bomb. I so wanted to love this perfume.

Anyhow, I content myself with the real winner in this collection, the first and only Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. I think I've sold quite a few units of this fragrance for Estee Lauder just by wearing it. The Estee Lauder site offers free shipping and a choice of samples with a purchase of Private Collection. Naturally, you can sniff and purchase at all the department stores.

Photo courtesy of Estee Lauder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a huge fan of the original "Private Collection" fragrance by Estee that was popular in the late 80s and early 90s - and then a friend introduced me to Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. WOW. She was merely wearing the fragrance and the scent was so delicious I got jealous! It is the type of delicate floral with undertones that truly whispers "CLASS."
It is reminiscent of Fracas by Robert Piguet - the tuberose, but more delicate - not overwhelmingly cloying. My mother took the free sample I was given, so I had to obtain some. The bottle alone screams elegance- I think it is the nicest bottle on my dressing table. Heavy cut glass with a heavy golden stopper - one spritz of this and I am social levels above my peers! I imagine myself going to the CFDA awards in Manhattan draped in Armani!